Borneo, also referred as Kalimantan, is the third-largest island in the world and the largest island in Asia. The island is divided among three countries: Malaysia and Brunei in the north, and Indonesia to the south. Into the Heart of Borneo is not just a treasure trove of biodiversity but it is also a source of life and livelihood for people, providing ecological services for at least 11 million Borneans, including a million forest-dwelling indigenous Dayaks.8 days 7 night cruise journeys into parts of Indonesian Borneo where few tourists venture to experience remote tribes, pristine rainforest, exotic flora and wildlife. You will see the floating houses of the provincial capital and continue upriver along the jungle, passing villages and orangutan islands.
Trip Highlights of Into the heart of Borneo:
- A small canoe will carry you to BOS Orangutan Foundation Centre in Nyaru Menteng.
- Keep an eye out for proboscis monkeys, hornbills, red langurs or Brahrnini Kites and other endemic species which can be spotted during the cruise.
- Travel by car through the off roads of Central Borneo to an authentic Dayaks long house located in the remote part of the jungle.
- There is one long veranda set aside for communal meetings, rituals, ceremonies, cultural performances and other activities, and it is also where each day you can see the women busily weaving and the men carving their intricate woodwork.
- Observe the Dayakss life and mysterious customs, Accommodation at a Dayaks long house.
- Enjoy a walk through rubber forests, seeing how latex is extracted and learning about the many medicinal plants growing in the forest.
- Journey into the heart of Borneo, pick you up from Tumbang Jutuh and bring you over the deepest and most remote parts of the National Park of Central Kalimantan.
- See spectacular waterfalls, massive spires of rocks and an endless expanse of lush rain forest.
- Spend night at Tumang Nan village.
- Trek through nearby pristine rain forest.
|Day 01:||Arrival in Indonesia|
|Day 02:||On the Rungan River|
|Day 03:||At the Dayaks long house|
|Day 04:||Life in the jungle|
|Day 05:||JInto the heart of Borneo|
|Day 06:||Jungle trekking and village life|
|Day 07:||Return to civilization|
DAY 01: ARRIVAL IN INDONESI A (D)
Upon arrival at the international airport in Jakarta, a representative will be waiting for you in the arrival hall. Check-in for another flight to Palangkaraya in Borneo to begin your Kalimantan adventure. You will be accommodated in a private cabin on a luxury river boat and spend the next few days cruising through the third largest rainforest in the world. On this first day you will see the floating houses of the provincial capital and continue upriver along the jungle, passing villages and orangutan islands. A small canoe will carry you to BOS Orangutan Foundation Centre in Nyaru Menteng. Here you can see the tough work of volunteers and experienced biologists working with orangutans in their natural environment. If you are interested, watch an insightful movie about environmental projects in Central Kalimantan and talk to the NGOs staff about the terrifying degradation of rain forests in Borneo. The day will end in the small village of Mungku Baru where you will stay overnight. Accommodation in cabin on board Rahui Rahayu.
DAY 02: ON THE RUNGAN RI VER (B,L,D)
The journey continues up the Rungan River, passing the orangutan release islands and local villages. We will visit some of these settlements to see how people live and work in these isolated communities. Have a chance to sample arak, a traditional alcohol, or other savoury local treats. Keep an eye out for proboscis monkeys, hornbills, red langurs or Brahrnini Kites and other endemic species which can be spotted during the cruise. In the evening you will reach the small town of Tumbang Jutuh where you will spend the night. Accommodation in cabin on board Rahui Rahayu.
DAY 03: AT THE DAYAKS LONG HOUSE (B,L,D)
Travel by car through the off roads of Central Borneo to an authentic Dayaks long house located in the remote part of the jungle. Long houses are the traditional settlements of Dayak and Iban tribes the original inhabitants of Borneo. Once feared for their headhunting raids, the Dayaks today live peacefully from agriculture, forest products, weaving and wood carving. One long house holds a large number of families. The largest house counts over 50 cubicles, called bilik, for as many families. There is one long veranda set aside for communal meetings, rituals, ceremonies, cultural performances and other activities, and it is also where each day you can see the women busily weaving and the men carving their intricate woodwork. You will be welcomed by the long houses residents who will make sure that for the next two days you’ll feel like a part of their family. Its a tremendous opportunity to observe the Dayakss life and mysterious customs. You’ll be accommodated in a simple room in the long house and share the kitchen with your hosts. Accommodation at a Dayaks long house.
DAY 04: LIFE IN THE JUNGLE (B,L,D)
The day starts early for Dayaks and so it will for you too. Enjoy a walk through rubber forests, seeing how latex is extracted and learning about the many medicinal plants growing in the forest. Challenge your skills trying to use a blow pipe and poisonous darts – truly deadly weapons in the hands of experienced hunters. Then you will have a chance to visit the animist temple and stroll through the village to see the remarkable painted bone houses scattered throughout. In the evening sit with the elders of the community and listen to their stories about head hunting, spirits and life in old times. Accommodation at a Dayaks long house.
DAY 05: INTO THE HEART OF BORNEO (B,L,D)
Today you will journey into the heart of Borneo. A small missionary water plane will pick you up from Tumbang Jutuh and bring you over the deepest and most remote parts of the National Park of Central Kalimantan. Have your camera ready there will be plenty of breath-taking photo opportunities. See spectacular waterfalls, massive spires of rocks and an endless expanse of lush rain forest. Finally, land on the river next to the tiny village of Tumang Nan where you will spend the next two nights. This is simply the end of the world as you know it. Switch off your western-oriented mind, enjoy what you see and learn how different life can be. Accommodation at private village house.
DAY 06: JUNGLE TREKKI NG AND VI LLAGE LI FE (B,L,D)
The kids in the village wont let you sleep after sunrise. Obviously, they don’t see strangers too often so they will be watching you closely. After breakfast you will go for a light trek through nearby pristine rain forest. Keep your eye out for the wild animals! The remainder of the day will be free to observe the villages everyday life. At night there will be time for traditional singing and storytelling. Accommodation at private village house.
DAY 07: RETURN TO CIVLI ZATION
Bid farewell to your hosts, and a water plane will bring you back to Palangkaraya, where you will be transferred to Swiss Bell Hotel and accommodated in suite rooms. In the evening, enjoy dinner and a good nights rest after your amazing adventure. Accommodation at Swissbel Hotel Palankaraya.
DAY 08 : Departure
After breakfast you will be transferred to the airport to catch your return flight to Jakarta. END OF SERVICES PROVIDED BY Plan Holidays Travel & Tour.
- Flight tickets Jakarta-Palangkaraya-Jakarta
- Accommodation as stated
- Daily breakfast, lunch & dinner
- Private charter of the river boat
- Private charter of two float planes on day 5 and 7
- Rental of all necessary equipment
- All applicable entrance fees and permits
- Qualified English speaking guide assistance throughout the itinerary
- 21% government tax and service charge.
- International Airfares
- Visa on arrival (currently US$ 35, subject to change)
- Extra meals or drinks, gratuities and porter tips
- Other personal expenses such as laundry, telephone using, mini bar, etc.
- 31+ days before arrival – no cancellation fee
- 30 to 22 days before arrival date – 25% of tour price
- 21 to 15 days before arrival date – 35% of tour price
- 14 to 7 days before arrival date – 55% of tour price
- 6 to 1 days before arrival date – 85% of tour price
- No Show – 100% of tour price Cancellation policy for flights:
100% cancellation fee after flight tickets are issued.